Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Quotes

Semester one of my Bachelor of Arts (Media & Communications) degree, I signed up for Psychology 101as an elective. In my very first class, my teacher Natalie handed each and everyone of us a piece of paper with what looked like a poem on it. At the very bottom, there was the name Nelson Mandela. It was an extract of a part of a speech that he had given once upon a time. It was about learning to love the unique characteristics of ourselves, and drawing strength within ourselves to be able to go further and achieve everything that we want. She told us to paste it at a place where we'll look every day. In my uni days, I put it on my wall next to my computer. Today, it's on my wall next to my mirror. Everyday when I'm getting ready for work or play, I read it and feel stronger already. I guess that's where it all began...

There are so many quotes and notes pasted around my computer, desk and wall at the office that all have the same message - work hard and you'll get somewhere, and do what you have to do to be happy. Some include:

- "Favour quality of life above standard of living."
- "If you are going through hell, keep going."
- "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it."
- "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Even my water bottle has a message that reads, "You are who you are, not as what others want you to be." A part of my job is to search for facts and quotes and interesting riddles that I can use to include in newsletters as fillers. Whenever I come across something that strikes to me as relevant in my life, I tend to just write it down and stick it wherever there's space.

I'd never notice the pattern of the quotes until a minute ago. Reading each one over and over again, it seems to give me a sort of encouragement that I feel I need - sort of like a daily (sometimes even hourly) boost. Each one makes me feel as though I'm right on track on the way that I wanna go. But I never went beyond the surface of its true meanings until I realised that I need these quotes to remind myself that I am better than what some think. I am stronger that what some believe. Laugh if you will. Scoff if you must. But I can sure as hell say that I'm living a happier, healthier and fuller life than you.

No comments: